Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sunshine and Summertime

Hello fashion blog world!  As promised, I have arrived with something better than "under construction."  

Some things to know about me, and this blog.  
1. I am an elementary school teacher, so the fashions you see here will be conservative and definitely budget friendly.  
2. I'm not a full time blogger, and fellow teachers can relate when I say it can be hard to find time to blog so the posts may not be on a consistent schedule for a while, but Hallelujah, summer is on its way which means more time to shop, play with outfits, and blog!  
3. I had been contemplating starting this up for a while, and a little over a month ago I went to a math conference with some coworkers, and one night over dinner two of them started telling me they love the way I dress, and suggested that I start a fashion blog.  One of the two pointed me to J's Everyday, where I was further inspired and motivated to finally create this blog. 
4. I'm a yard-saler, flea marketer, consignment/thrift store shopper, antique shopper and my favorite chain stores are LOFT, J. Crew (outlets), Banana Republic (outlets), Francesca's, Three Sister's Boutique, and Target (pronounced the French way).  
5. I'm a Pinterest junkie!
6. Yes, I want your honest feedback!  Leave respectful comments.  If you like something, GREAT, say so!  If you wouldn't wear it, you can say that too.  If you don't think a color goes fine, you're welcome to tell me that too, but please no insults or personal attacks on myself or other readers/commenters.  Oh and yes, please leave links to your blogs too (that's how I find a lot that I follow).

It is my hope that you will find the fashion's here inspiring, chic, and affordable.




What better way to kick off the summer and this blog than with this fun summer number?  I got an e-mail from J Crew today with some "denim inspirations," and this photo appeared.  I wasn't a huge fan of the pants or the heavy denim up top, but something about the colors and the denim paired with a pattern struck me.  Fortunately, while staring at this photo I realized I have a pair of shorts that very closely resemble the pattern and color scheme on the pants.  I also realized I had a chambray shirt hanging in my closet that I probably haven't worn since the fall that would be the PERFECT substitute for the denim top.  I prefer to wear chambray up top rather than denim, especially during the summer because it's lighter and softer, and it gets HOT here so I try to wear light/breathable fabrics. Rather than button up, I decided to maintain the light feel by leaving the shirt open over a plain J Crew tank, and as you'll notice if you continue to come back, I am an avid believer in the "just throw a belt around it," policy. (I throw belts around a majority of my outfits).  I decided to pair the whole combo with these babies to add another contrasting denim shade:
Katia Chambray Ballet Flats


Where did I wear this oh so fabulous summer look?  A brunch date in Old Town with my girl Sara.  I couldn't think of a better outfit for this GORGEOUS day!  How would you wear denim for summer? I'm really feeling the denim with patterns, and I'm curious to see what other fun patterns I could pair this shirt with for summer, thoughts?

Shirt: LOFT (no longer available), Ann Taylor Similar, J Crew Factory Similar
Tank: J. Crew ($14.50), (color no longer available)
Shorts: LOFT ($44.50)
Shoes: TOMS ($79) {I got lucky and Mom bought them for me when she came to visit}
Belt: I have no idea where I got this from or how much it cost, I've had it for THAT long.
Watch: Citizen; high school graduation gift
Bracelet: Birthday gift from a friend
Necklace: Bought from an artist at an antique store ($10)
Nail Polish: Tart Deco by Essie ($8), purchased at Target (I think this might be my favorite color of the season!)

No comments:

Post a Comment