Tuesday, January 21, 2014

2014 Check-In


So how am I doing on some of these goals I set for myself?  Let's be real here.

1. Reclaim control over our family budget and stick to it.  We're not terrible, but we've definitely bent a few times.  Also, factor in plans for our dreams.
-January is a rough month for this one…right after the holidays, and Corey's birthday pops up, heating bill is outrageous, oh and I go an extra two weeks before seeing my paycheck.  (We get paid right before Christmas break, and don't get paid again until the end of January.)
-We've actually set up envelopes a la Dave Ramsey, and are both keeping track of our spending pretty well.  
-There may have been some splurging for Corey's birthday…but nothing out of the budget.
-I've even passed on ordering lunch with my teammates (a Friday ritual) the past two weeks to save that additional $10 a week.

2. Reclaim my body and energy.
-Got a fitbit and have been actively logging my activity and food intake with the app.  It is really helpful to see calories in vs. calories out.
-Got a gym membership at the new XSport Fitness center that just opened down the road, and went for two days.  One of which was a free personal training session, and BOY do my quads, hamstrings, and gluteus HURT!  Was planning on going today…but with the snowfall I'm not sure I'll make it there…perhaps I'll just do some stuff at home.  I am looking forward to trying some of the classes though. (Zumba, Cycling, maybe even some Yoga!)

3. Give fully in all areas.
-I have to say this is a work in progress and something that doesn't just change over night.
-One major area I've tried to focus on giving more fully to is actually my work, and in praying over that I've been inspired to create some exciting projects and lessons for my kids, so I think that's headed in a really good direction.  Still a work in progress, but headed in the right direction.
-I'm still figuring out what it means to give fully in ALL areas of my life…there's still a long way to go, but it's important to celebrate the lessons and victories along the way.

4. Have an adventure.
-Hmmm…nothing too adventurous yet.

5. Uncover true passion in my life.
-Praying through this one big time.

6. Be more intentional in prayer.
-I have been keeping a prayer journal which helps me focus during my conversations with God and not get lost in my inner thought world.  I don't write in it nightly, but still frequently.
-Prayer sometimes feels like a battle for me even when I write it down, because sometimes I feel like I'm being fake…not that I don't mean what I say, but I'm saying words that I hear other people say when they pray and using language they use, and that's not how I talk in real life…so why am I talking to God that way?  Why can't I talk to him the way I talk in real life?  I don't know it's a mindset thing and another element that I'm praying through.

7. Be more watchful and expectant.
-The prayer journal helps me with this one a lot.  If I write down what I ask for, I can revisit and record when I receive the answer. I can also see how persistent I've been in praying for it.

8. Go on another mission trip.
-No developments here.

9. Take a vacation.
-Potential development here that I'm quite excited about, but I don't want to say anything until it's a done deal--booked and paid for.

10. Do something that feeds my creative soul.  (Take a cake decorating class or something).
- Honestly….nothing here.  Maybe the projects I'm creating for my students counts…but I'd rather create something else.

Honesty box time ya'll, how are your goals coming along?

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Love that you love your fit bit and gym! I'm a huge believer in tracking and it makes me feel empowered. :) Also, love what you shared about your spiritual walk...I've working on being more present and aware when opportunities arise for me to be His hands and feet...a prayer journal might be a nice step for me to take, too! Love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, you are an amazing friend with a huge gift of encouragement! Thanks for your post. It's a boost in my motivation to work toward these goals.

      Delete