Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Baby It's Cold Outside!

In the spirit of today's arctic freeze that is sweeping across the nation and subsequently granted me a "it's too cold to leave the house," day off from work, (Seriously…schools are closed because it's too cold here…the sun is shining and the roads are clear…it's just cold so no school.), today I'm touching on cold-weather wear.

Let's begin with a lesson in cold weather wear history.  Particularly, MY cold weather wear history.
My family used to live in Fairbanks, Alaska.  So this business today is cold, but it's NOTHING compared to the regular -60 degree temps I saw and went to school in.  Now I was win 5th and 6th grade at that time, and we can easily label those years the dumb years in fashion for me.

My mother insisted I wear something like this during the winter:
 


If only I had a picture of my actual get-up.  Yes folks, I was indeed a frozen purple grape.  My younger sister who my mom still liked to dress to match me at this point, had the same get up but in all pink…we dubbed her the pink marshmallow.  Now being the little rebel that I was…the cool thing to do amongst my friends was to actually only wear something like this.

 

Yup, us too-cool-for-school upper elementary kids would dress ourselves head to toe in adidas track gear, because that was "cool."  And our poor mothers would give up the battle everyday and probably secretly wish we froze all our fingers and toes off in the sub-zero temperatures at recess just so we would learn our lesson.  And trust me, it was cold.  The sneakers did nothing to keep the cold wet snow from seeping in.  Our tooshies froze in those flimsy little track pants, and the jacket, HA!  Maybe that's why we spent all our time at recess huddled together gossiping instead of playing and having fun.  Anyway, you get the picture.  We were stupid, all of us, but in our own minds we were cool.  I think this especially now as a teacher of 6th graders and the lot of them insist on wearing something like the picture below every day.  Even in freezing temps.

Notice the switch from Adidas to Nike? True story! Maybe it's an east-coast/west-coast thing…who knows?  In my day is was Adidas all the way.  But anyway, yes the COOL thing for 6th graders now is to wear little track or lacrosse shorts, MAYBE a sweater, and bright sneakers every day. Regardless of how cold it actually is.  And I think man…your mother let you out like that today?  And then I remember…yeah, my mom gave up that battle too…OK, well enjoy freezing at recess.

Let's move on to cold weather wear of today.  I will probably venture out to the store in a bit to pick up a few items and when I do I will don something like this.
Mine is black and not the exact same but this is pretty close.
Although, I wish I had one a bit longer so it would cover my butt.  Like this one down here.

While it is freezing, there's no damp snow…so I'm not feeling the need for snow pants.  I will most definitely try to wear leggings underneath my jeans as an extra layer, and probably just my riding boots as I no longer own snow boots.  (maybe I should fix that soon).

I think underneath all the bundling I'll have something like this:
J Crew (No longer available)
Bought this pretty for myself on Black Friday and wrapped it up to open Christmas morn.  It's so comfy, and I love it!
Love my LuckyBrand jeans!
Eddie Bauer (no longer available)

Stay warm my dears!  It's ok to dress warmly, cold weather fashion has come a long way!





No comments:

Post a Comment